Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Sunday 31 July 2022

31st Jul 2022: Med Gulls!

Tuesday evening there was an adult Dunlin along the western side, making use of the floating weed instead of the usual concrete shore. On Wednesday morning John had 2 Common Sandpipers.

Friday late afternoon I hadn't really expected to see much (I was going to look for inverts), but I was pleasantly surprised when I spotted a juvenile Mediterranean Gull amongst a small gathering of Black-headed and Lesser Black-backed Gulls. They were obviously feeding on emerging flying ants, with birds 'flycatching' up in the air over the reservoir and surrounding area and picking them off the surface of the water too. As I was scanning though I picked up a second bird and a Yellow-legged Gull. Scanning through again a bit later I saw one bird fly off north and two birds still on the water, so at least 3 birds present. I did think I had another bird, but on reviewing photos then next day it turned out to be a juvenile Common Gull.


Two of the Med Gulls

Med Gull and the Yellow-legged Gull

Juvenile Common Gull



This morning John and I had a Whimbrel fly over going south-west, another (maybe one of the same) juvenile Med Gulls come in for several minutes, a Peregrine over and then a juvenile Little Ringed Plover appeared on the western side.

Courtesy and copyright of JFT

No comments:

Post a Comment