Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Monday 4 May 2015

04th May 2015: Lesser Whitethroat

Ian Rowe put in the early shift today and reported three Garden Warblers singing from scrub and trees along the river and three Common Sandpipers at the reservoir. A little later in the morning there was only one Common Sandpiper left but the Garden Warblers were still in full song. There was also another two in the Upper Cherwell Valley along with the first Lesser Whitethroat of the year (found by Clive Payne), so there must have been an arrival over night.


In the wood I spent a bit of time watching for activity to confirm nesting species. I found Blue Tits and Wren are nesting on/in the railway bridge, within a meter of each other. Watching Long-tailed Tits with food led me to another of their nests and the activity of a pair of Blackcaps indicating their nesting location. I also heard Bullfinches in the wood and I assume they are nesting in there or at least somewhere nearby. There was also a few Speckled Wood butterflies on the wing today, the first I've seen here this year.

The Wren nest is behind the large clump of grass hanging to the right of the pipe.


In the Upper Cherwell Valley I confirmed there are two Coot nests at the Borrow Pit pool and it probably wont be too long before they hatch. Five Tufted Ducks were diving for food, possibly damsel and dragonfly larvae which should start emerging soon.

There seemed to be a lot of high flying activity today with the sunny conditions and light breeze allowing birds to soar to some great heights. I saw at least two Sparrowhawks, seven Buzzards and four Lesser Black-back Gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment