Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Sunday 19 June 2016

19th Jun 2016

I was out both days this weekend for general ambles and to familiarise myself with the current goings on around the reservoir. Two Common Terns were present Saturday and three this morning. I assume these must be failed or non-breeders that have settled here for the rest of the summer.

I checked the Sparrowhawk nest both days but didn't see any activity. Wrens and more Blackcaps have fledged in the wood. Around the Borrow Pit pool Sedge Warblers and Reed Buntings are busy feeding chicks either about to fledge or that have recently fledged and the Coots have nine chicks recently hatched.

There were a lot of damsel and dragonfly exuviae around the Borrow Pit on Saturday, but in the dull overcast conditions I failed to see any on the wing. I didn't see any butterflies on either day, which I found slightly odd. Sunday morning though Clive had Emperor and Four-spotted Chasers flying around. This had also attracted a foraging Hobby to the area.



Orange Tip butterfly caterpillar 

No comments:

Post a Comment