Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Wednesday 2 September 2015

02nd Aug 2015

After all of these evening visits recently I thought I had better make a bit of effort and visit in the morning. Seeing some waders has been nice but to be honest I'm growing tired of looking through gulls for now and really wanted some passerines to look at.. and that certainly that happened today.

Walking up from the car park, the river was alive with birds and I noted a few Chiffchaffs (one singing), a Willow Warbler and a couple of Blackcaps all amongst Blue Tits, Long-tailed Tits and Great Tits. At the reservoir a Sand Martin went through south and later another three went though as well as twelve House Martins and three Swallows. Mike saw a Lesser Whitethroat and two Kingfishers were putting on a really good show too flying around the pontoon calling.

In the wood I found two Spotted Flycatchers. These were with a very big feeding party of Blue, Great and Long-tailed Tits, Treecreepers, Goldcrests, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps and a couple of Willow Warblers. Whilst I was in the wood three Siskins flew over as well as a Raven. I also saw a Weasel, which was good to see but was off again far quicker than I could get the camera out. As I walked back down the western bank I saw a Wheatear along the fence.

John visited at lunchtime and saw the Wheatear, a Yellow Wagtail and four Spotted Flycatchers. Two of them in the wood and two in the large hedge in the cattle field.

In the evening both John and Mike visited again. Mike saw the Wheatear which was still present along the western bank. John saw three Spotted Flyctachers still in the area and two Sand Martins flew through. The best bird though was probably the same (or possibly another) Black-tailed Godwit. this time it actually settled at the reservoir and allowed a picture to be taken.

Courtesy and copyright of John Friendship-Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment