Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Monday 21 September 2015

21st Sep 2015

I had a really pleasant late afternoon walk after the rain had cleared through and the sun finally shone. It was apparent that the passerines had struggled to feed for most of the day as there was a lot of activity for this time of day.

Almost immediately through the gate I located a Spotted Flycatcher by the river and as I watched it saw another two. There was also probably a fourth bird that flew away from this group but I didn't see it properly. In the same area at least three male Blackcaps were eating elderberries. As I was trying to get photos of the flycatchers a Kingfisher dropped out of the tree next to me diving into the river and then perched allowing a few photographs to be taken, I wasn't even aware it was there until it moved!




Further along the river I heard a couple of Chiffchaffs calling and whilst trying to see them I noticed a few Siskins in the Alder trees. Scanning through the trees I discovered there was actually c.20 birds busily feeding on the cones. On the edge of the wood another couple of Chiffchaffs called and a female Blackcap was also here, and like the others also eating elderberries.

In the wood a male Sparrowhawk drifted over disturbing another group of three Siskins. There was another Blackcap tacking but remained unseen and a Treecreeper was in with a small flock of Blue Tits.

Walking down the western bank of the reservoir another couple of Chiffchaffs were in the hawthorns along the bank and a few Meadow Pipits were heard passing overhead. A little gathering of Black-headed Gulls had formed with several Lesser Black-backs. There was also the now semi-resident juvenile Yellow-legged Gull.


No comments:

Post a Comment