Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Thursday 24 September 2015

24th Sep 2015

I was out early this morning after the rain had cleared. As soon as I was out of the car there were Chiffchaffs calling and I had seen or heard (some singing) several by the time I had even got through the gates. Throughout my walk I could hear Chiffchaffs calling from the bushes and trees. It seems there was either a mini fall during the rain or that there is just far more activity at that time of day. Just past the gates there were two Spotted Flycatchers in the willows over the river.



A few Meadow Pipits called as they flew over and although I didn't see them all at least 12 went over during my visit. Along the river there was a couple of Blackcaps and Siskins around. The scrub at the northern end of the reservoir held two Blackcaps and a Whitethroat, all feeding on elderberries. A further nine Siskins flew over into the wood and a Skylark went over.

A small gathering of 22 House Martins built up to feed over the reservoir briefly and then drifted off south. Two Grey Wagtails fed around the reservoir edge and at least two Meadow Pipits were in the cattle field. I could hear the Ring-necked Parakeet again over by the canal but couldn't see where it was. Another Spotted Flycatcher was in the thick hedge in the cattle field where there was also at least six Blackbirds. I think the Blackbirds are gathered here because of the berries, but it did make me wonder if there were migrant birds fresh in.

Courtesy and copyright of Dave Fuller
Courtesy and copyright of Dave Fuller
Courtesy and copyright of Dave Fuller

No comments:

Post a Comment