Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Friday 8 January 2016

08th Jan 2016

It was very busy at the reservoir today with Steve Holliday and John out early morning, Mark Ribbons and Jim Craik out before lunch, John (again!) and I out at lunch time with at least one other birder. Without anything rare about it must have been the weather tempting people out!

Sunrise - Courtesy and copyright of John
Collectively a good variety of birds were seen. The Goosanders peaked at nine again at lunch time (but numbers definitely fluctuate through the day), the Great Crested Grebe number has risen to 14 (now equalling my highest known peak count), 13+ Common Gulls flew through in the morning and several were present at lunchtime, two Herring Gulls, eight plus Siskins and Chiffchaff (along the river). Two Kingfishers have been showing very well, as you can see from John's photo taken yesterday.

Courtesy and copyright of John
Jim told me about a possible Firecrest along the river that he only saw very briefly. It seems possible as they have been recorded here in winter before. I had a good look for it and didn't find it but it could be there, there is lots of scrub to hide in along the river. Whilst searching I found a very confiding Robin. It is just a shame I either couldn't get it in sharp focus or there was always something in the way!




No comments:

Post a Comment