Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Tuesday 1 May 2018

1st May 2018

It was a lovely sunny morning, but my hopes of seeing my first Garden Warbler of the year today did not materialise. There was quite a lot of warbler activity though, with at least three Willow Warblers singing along the river, two each of singing Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat and the now ubiquitous Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps, but there were no Lesser Whitethroats heard today.

There was a Common Sandpiper at the reservoir and a few swifts and several hirundines around. One Great Crested Grebe was still here this morning and I sat and watched it preening for a few minutes, really appreciating it's summer finery. Admittedly it's not a bird I stop to watch very often, but I found myself in complete awe this morning. On my way out I found a Goldfinch nest and will try to keep an eye on it over the course of the spring.

This afternoon John saw the Common Sandpiper was still present and there was a few Swifts, but not a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment