Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Thursday 24 May 2018

24th May 2018: More Sanderlings

John: We received a steady, easterly breeze today and as such, this produced a bit of migrant activity, not just at Grimsbury, but UK-wide.

At lunchtime I came across a small group of 3 stunning summer-plumaged Sanderling sat along the western shore of the reservoir. They allowed a very close approach, allowing me be get some good photos. I left them to carry on feeding up, however only some 5 minutes or so later, I saw them take flight high to the north, just as the sun began to break through the cloud. We're doing really well for Sanderlings this year with one also back on 2nd May. We haven't even had a Dunlin yet this spring!






Other birds seen today included an impressive count of c60+ Swift, filling the air with their screams and zipping around all over. There were 4 rather late Swallows, together with a single Sand Martin. Finally a quick check this evening revealed a couple of Little Ringed Plover, the first ones seen for quite a while I believe.


No comments:

Post a Comment