Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Monday 21 October 2019

21st Oct 2019: Thrushes!

Back in from a weekend in Norfolk (with John and Dan) where I'd seen some nice birds but not really witnessed the spectacle of autumn migration, the conditions were good for birds moving in from the east today (typical!). I should have gone up the hills but I opted for the reservoir instead.

On arrival nothing really seemed to happening and the only noticeable change was that there was now four Great Crested Grebes instead of two. However, that changed when I started noticing the high flying flocks of thrushes going overhead going towards to the south-west.

Most of the flocks were really quite high and the early flocks flew in and out of the base of the clouds before they cleared a bit later in the morning. It appeared to be mostly Redwings and overall I estimated c.750 birds in several large flocks and 10+ smaller flocks. There were some Fieldfares mixed in amongst them, but not many, although a flock of 40 birds consisting just Fieldfare did go over.

There was also a few small flocks of Starlings going over and a male Stonechat stopped briefly on the bushes on the western side of the reservoir too. There was clearly a good movement of birds today, so maybe I should have gone up the hills...

No comments:

Post a Comment