Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Sunday 16 May 2021

16th May 2021

It's been a bit of a quiet week from both lack of visitors and, I assume, good birds when people have been. There was a Common Sandpiper on Thursday (JFT) and Friday at least. John also had a few Yellow Wagtails around yesterday as well as a Common Sandpiper. There are fledged families of Grey Wagtail and Long-tailed Tit around and I was told the Robins near the entrance fledged (although I'm fairly sure they were too young to fledge and were more likely predated).

Nothing terribly notable today but a few nice sightings. A big group of c.100 large gulls (the vast majority Lesser Black-backed Gulls) circled over the UCV and then a little later c.250 flew over the reservoir (including at least two Herring Gulls). These are big numbers for here even for winter so to see them in May is quite odd. When the group flew over the reservoir two Common Terns also came in and did a few circuits high over the water before leaving again. 

I had three sightings of Peregrine (my first ones over the reservoir this year), two of which were of a large female casually cruising around and one of a smaller male. The male sighting was great, as it mobbed a Buzzard from a reasonable height before climbing higher again and then went in to a full stoop at something (lost sight behind trees) and then re-appeared carrying it's prey. It's only the second time I've seen a full on on high speed stoop! It flew low towards town and I lost sight of it again behind trees and then JDE.

No comments:

Post a Comment