Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Sunday 11 January 2015

11th Jan 2015: Willow Tit

It was a beautiful morning today and, even though the wind was still quite strong and cold, if you were in a sheltered spot in the sun it was really quite pleasant. Almost spring like!

The reservoir had the same birds as recent days. The Goosander was back, there was seven Great Crested Grebes and the usual Mallards, Canada Geese and gulls were all present.
Note - Mark Ribbons had two Goosanders this afternoon.


In the wood I found the Chiffchaffs feeding along the low scrubby vegetation along the river by the railway bridge. There are now at least three there with the Siberian tristis type and two Common Chiffchaffs. It was good to see them all together and to see the Siberian type well but not in bright sunlight. It's a shame my photography skills do not really do the bird justice.

Siberian Chiffchaff






Common Chiffchaff

Whilst I was watching them the Willow Tit came along too. We then had a game of hide and seek as I tried to photograph it. The tit definitely won but I got one photo I was happy with. A bird of prey went over causing all the birds to became agitated and alarm call. It was possibly a Peregrine but went over far to fast to confirm.

Willow Tit
I proceeded up into the Cherwell Valley and although it was rather quiet I managed to add Stock Dove to the year list, with at least six in the trees. A flock of around 300 Woodpigeons also went over north east and may be heading back to northern woodlands for spring ready to breed.


No comments:

Post a Comment