Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Wednesday 14 January 2015

14th Jan 2015: Gone Fishing

A reasonably early morning visit today and it seemed that everything was out to catch a fish or two. There was a Kingfisher perched just off the sailing club, two Herons, a Goosander (not the two that have been reported over the last few days), six Great Crested Grebes and fourteen Cormorants.

The Goosander seemed to be quite successful in catching small 'silver fish', probably Roach, near to the pontoon. Every time it resurfaced with a catch the Black-headed Gulls would fly in and see if they could steal a free meal. The Cormorant count was the highest I have had there for a while. I enjoy watching their movement across the reservoir, a synchronised wave as they all dive and surface within a few seconds of each other.


In the woodland a Jay was screeching away and the roaming feeding party was busy as ever. It was nice to hear Mistle Thrush singing and until Mike Pollard had said he'd had them, I'd somehow seemed to not register their presence. They are a difficult bird to get here, sometimes only recorded once a year.

A Green Woodpecker was in the Cherwell valley and made it on the year list and I counted eighteen Meadow Pipits feeding in the long grass. Back down the canal a few House Sparrows were also new to the year list.

Just as I was making my way back to the car park a flock of eighteen Lapwing went over and appeared to land in the fields by the A423. I will have to go and check if there are more there or even any Golden Plovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment