Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Saturday 11 July 2015

11th Jul 2015

A fairly early morning visit for me today. There was a lot of passerine activity along the entrance road with a mixed flock of Great, Blue and Long-tailed Tits, Blackcaps and Goldcrests. A Sedge Warbler was singing along the river and reminded me I'm yet to see any juveniles so will keep a closer look out for them. At the reservoir there was the two, now regular, Common Terns, a drake Tufted Duck and two juvenile Black-headed Gulls of interest.

In the Upper Cherwell Valley at the Borrow Pit pool there was a Common Sandpiper, two female Tufted Ducks, a couple of Mute Swans and the Coots. I managed to see a Four-spotted Chaser that had actually landed rather than the usual flight views and several Gatekeepers amongst the other more regular species.



Walking back along the river I only saw one White-legged Damselfly. The hedges here full of Whitethroat families now and I had a great view of a Bullfinch family. Just before I got to the wood a flock of five Siskins flew over south.


A Kingfisher was making the most of the river's low water level and was perching in full view but somehow I failed to get any pictures. Whilst watching it a Fox came along the river bank carrying a Rabbit, it saw me and slipped off into the wood. I assume it must have cubs to feed somewhere nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment