Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Friday 17 July 2015

17th Jul 2015: Common Lizard

Apologies for the lack of photos, I know they always make a blog more interesting to read, or look at, but I haven't managed to take any pictures recently. Today my camera battery was flat and I really regretted that later. I managed to get one picture before it died but had I known what else I would see today I would have saved the power for one picture of something else...

There were two Common Terns back at the reservoir, so they can't have gone far. Mark Ribbons saw them fly off to the north this evening so maybe they are just fishing at the reservoir and roosting (possibly nesting?) somewhere else? There was a female Teal today that added interest to the day and I also saw a Red Kite from the reservoir drifting over the Tesco and Beaumont Estate area.


The best sighting of the morning though was a Common Lizard just past the railway bridge into the Upper Cherwell Valley. I have had something scurry away from the path up here a few times this year and strongly suspected it had been a Common Lizard each time but hadn't seen any thing to confirm it. Today a really well marked gravid female sat just off the path and confirmed my suspicions. It just sat there as I looked at it, wishing my camera had battery power... next time! This is a great record and as far as I know a new species for the area. It is certainly a new one for me anyway.

Evening Update:

John (and Mark, as mentioned earlier) visited this evening and has saved the day with a few more photos. He too noted the terns flying off to the north into the Upper Cherwell Valley. It seems there was a bit of passage in the evening too and he recorded seven Sand Martins through south west and an adult Common Gull through south, none of them stopping. There has also been a lot of Swifts around which seems to indicate they are on the move too.

In the Upper Cherwell Valley John recorded two White-legged Damselflies along the river and a large roaming tit party with many additional warblers. He noted juvenile Coal Tit, Garden Warbler, Chiffchaff and Blackcap amongst numerous Long-tailed Tits, Great and Blue Tits.

Courtesy and copyright of John Friendship-Taylor
Courtesy and copyright of John Friendship-Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment