Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Tuesday 28 July 2015

28th Jul 2015: Wood Sandpiper

Another interesting day today and another new bird for patch...

I went up this morning, mainly in search of the Redstart again but couldn't find it. I looked for the Dunlin and and didn't see it but obviously overlooked it as it was confirmed as being still present later in the day. There were three Common Terns, around twenty Swifts and an impressive number of about fifty Sand Martins.


I went up this evening again on my way home. As I was walking through from the car park Mike Pollard text me to say there was a Wood Sandpiper at the Borrow Pit pool in the Upper Cherwell Valley! Walking through past the reservoir there was the Dunlin, several Sand Martins still and two Common Terns. I passed Mike in the wood and he showed me a very nice picture of the Wood Sandpiper, I could barely get up there quick enough. You can see Mike's pictures here.

Thankfully the Wood Sandpiper was still present by the time I got there. It was in the company of a Common Sandpiper and occasionally they were both together giving a good comparison. There was also a Yellow Wagtail in the area. The Wood Sandpiper is a good record for the B.O.S. area and another great record for the patch. I believe it is another new bird recorded and the fourth new bird this month. Quite incredible really.




No comments:

Post a Comment