Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Thursday 13 August 2015

13th Aug 2015: Greenshank

John Friendship-Taylor: Today was a pretty miserable one, largely consisting of heavy cloud and showers. I nipped up at lunchtime, somehow dodging the rain for a quick visit. I was rewarded with a rather mobile juvenile Wheatear along the western side of the reservoir. The only other thing worth mentioning was a female and juvenile Blackcap feeding together on elderberries out in the open near to the reservoir entrance.  


This evening, I had a bit of time to kill after work so headed down again for an hour or so and I'm glad I did! Walking along the western side I picked up a Greenshank calling loudly on the other side of the reservoir. It took me a few seconds to pick it up but eventually got onto it as it flew across the reservoir and off high to the SW. A nice unexpected record, just a shame it didn't hang around.

The Wheatear was still about, and nearby a nice juvenile Little Ringed Plover was feeding along the western shore. A very good chance this was raised locally too. An adult Common Tern appeared briefly, as did a juvenile Herring Gull with several Lesser Black Backed Gulls. Finally to finish off the sightings, a Siskin flew over north calling loudly. A very worthwhile visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment