Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Friday 14 August 2015

14th Aug 2015: Black Terns

I went for a walk around during mid morning. My only 'reward' was a thorough soaking! A single Swallow was foraging widely around the area and a Cormorant was fishing. There were up to 35 Lesser Black-backed Gulls coming and going, but other than that there was very little else at all.

That was until John visited at lunch time, I swear he has the Midas touch when it comes to birding! He phoned me with news of a Black Tern at the reservoir and by the time I had got there that news changed from one bird to  three birds being present. A great number for the reservoir and a great record for the year list. The birds were all adults in moult and were busy feeding away over the water. Occasionally they could be heard calling, either to each other or when chased by one of the gulls. I got some terrible record shots whilst I was there, but it turns out they are very hard to get a good photo of!




John also had a Common Tern initially with the Black Terns, but that must have flown on south. There was a juvenile / first winter gull that from a distance looked good for Yellow-legged Gull but I didn't have a chance to have a closer look before it left. A Common Sandpiper dropped in while John was there and a juvenile Little Ringed Plover dropped in while I was there (that may be the same birds from yesterday). There was also a second Cormorant present.

Evening Update:

John returned this evening to find that FIVE Black Terns were present.

Later Evening Update:

Colin visited but didn't see the Black Terns, so they must have left at some point between John leaving and Colin arriving. There were four Common Sandpipers though and a group of three Common Terns that passed over very high, obviously migrating, making a bee-line for the
southern horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment