Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Monday 5 April 2021

5th Apr 2021: Osprey!

A very dull and dreary morning with little around early on but at least four House Martins and 20+ each of Swallow and Sand Martin later in the morning. I'd just done my full walk around the patch and was on my way out when some very vocal gulls drew my attention to an Osprey flying over the buildings to the west of the reservoir, apparently following the canal northwards. It turned to fly towards the reservoir and fortunately right over my head! By now though it had at least eight Lesser Black-backed Gulls, four Crows and about 15 Rooks on its tail so it didn't hang around at all and the last I saw of it it went back towards the canal and generally north up the Cherwell Valley. 

A few other bits of note were at least one Siskin still around and two Willow Warblers.




Mike P was out in the evening and had an incredible sighting of six Little Ringed Plovers! Apparently this is the joint largest flock recorded in the B.O.S. area (excluding groups of adults with chicks) alongside the previous record in 1996. 

5 of the 6
Photos courtesy and copyright of Mike Pollard


No comments:

Post a Comment