Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Tuesday 24 March 2015

24th Mar 2015: Little Ringed Plovers... and another Kittiwake!

This morning the sun was shining and even though there was a cold breeze it felt like a brilliant spring day. There were three or four Chiffchaffs singing around the reservoir to reinforce the fact that spring has now well and truly sprung.

As I walked around I spotted two small waders fly across the reservoir and land on the western edge. Two Little Ringed Plovers! I really like these little plovers and I'm always happy to see them return in spring.



As I walked around there was a Grey Wagtail singing at the reservoir edge and Song Thrushes collecting nesting material. I think the wind was putting some species off from singing but there was a general background song. A few Meadow Pipit calls were heard as they passed unseen overhead.

I scanned through a flock of Black-headed Gulls that were gathered. I was only really checking for ringed birds and not expecting much, but as I scanned through came across a stunning adult Kittiwake! This is the second one this month now but only the third I have ever seen here. Others managed to see it and it was present till lunch time at least.



No comments:

Post a Comment