Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Saturday 28 March 2015

28th Mar 2015: Spring Colour

Occasionally I go out to try and record all birds seen and heard on the patch, whether common species or not. I try to do this once a month but actually don't manage to do it every month. Today I went out and recorded forty-five species around the reservoir, woodland and Upper Cherwell Valley. In all honesty there was very little of note so this is a pretty reasonable number of species. I also made a bit of effort to record some plants.  I needed the practise but the blog needed some spring colour too!

Hairy Bittercress
There are now Chiffchaffs spread well over the patch and there were seven singing today. A few Goldcrests were singing but the overwintering birds seem to have cleared out. There are several Reed Buntings singing from suitable breeding habitat which is promising. Four Bullfinches are of note as I hadn't seen any for a while and two Linnets flew over.

Lesser Celandine
Sat by the reservoir for a while hoping for something to pass through and the only thing of particular interest was Meadow Pipits going north. There were streams of gulls passing overhead and a few small groups dropping in the bath and drink before moving on. Mostly Common Gulls but a few Lesser Black-backed too.

In the Upper Cherwell Valley, at the Borrow Pit pool, there were ten Tufted Ducks and seven Coots. A Lapwing flew over, so maybe there are a few on territory near by. There are fresh Otter spriants under the railway bridge and the two brick canal bridges, so they are still quite active in the area. Several bumblebees were also active today. I assume they are Buff-tailed Bumblebees but I didn't get a good enough look at any of them to confirm that.

Common Dog Violet - traditional purple
Common Dog Violet - less common white
I was hoping for a singing Blackcap or some hirundines to pass through but it didn't happen. Next weekend for sure!

Blackthorn

No comments:

Post a Comment