Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Thursday 5 November 2015

05th Nov 2015: More ringed gulls

Quite an interesting morning today. There was nothing outstanding to be seen but a few bits and bobs made it worth while. The first thing of note was a ringed Black-headed Gull. It had a red or orange ring, but unfortunately it was too far away to read any details and I didn't find it again.


The next stop was scanning through the loafing Lesser Black-backed Gulls where there was an adult Common Gull. A Yellow-legged Gull also dropped in for a short while.



Through into the woods I didn't see many birds to start with, there was a couple of fresh Otter spraints under the bridge though. I did eventually find some birds with a small tit flock foraging away. There was Blue, Great and Coal Tits with Goldcrests and Treecreepers.

Walking up the canal tow path to the the Upper Cherwell Valley a few Bullfinches flushed from the path ahead of me and there was another tit flock, this time mostly Long-tailed Tits. A Stonechat was still around the scrub and thick vegetation by the river. I assume there is still two, but couldn't find the second bird. There was quite a lot of birds at the Borrow Pit pool but annoyingly they were flushed by a dog walker before I could get there. Amongst the ducks flying away there was a smaller one I think was a Teal and amongst the gulls was a Herring or Yellow-legged Gull.

Back at the reservoir looking for the ringed Black-headed Gull from earlier, I found another two ringed birds. They both had white Davric rings. One was VK40 which was ringed in Denmark and the other was AF400 ringed in Germany. I find it fascinating to see where they travel to a from.



No comments:

Post a Comment