Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Wednesday 11 November 2015

11th Nov 2015

A quick walk this morning before work was quite productive, but only for anyone interested in gulls and I have to admit I'm really getting the bug! The only other birds that caught my attention were several Meadow Pipits and a couple of Skylarks going over. There was also a few reasonably sized flocks of Wood Pigeons going over, each flock being  around a hundred birds.

To start with I scanned through the Black-headed Gulls looking for leg rings. I did spot one ring but it flushed before I could get the details. So I moved on to the Lesser Black-backs that were beginning to gather. There was at least seven Common Gulls with them, with a few birds coming and going. It wasn't long before and adult Yellow-legged Gull dropped in.


Next I spotted a third calender year bird amongst the group.


I had been looking at them for a while before I noticed the third, which is a second calender year bird. I took my time with this one to be sure of the identification (and I think I've got it right). It was often next to Lesser Black-backs of the same age for comparison. I managed to see all three close together before I left.




Mark Ribbons visited this afternoon and had a good haul of birds. The best of which was a Willow Tit in the wood by the railway bridge but there was also two Siskins, two Treecreepers, Kingfisher and a nice list of commoner species.

No comments:

Post a Comment