Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Friday 22 April 2016

22nd Apr 2016: Jay

Mike and I were out early morning in search of the Wood Warbler, but unfortunately there was no sight of sound of it. As the morning went on John joined me and hirundines started dropping in. There was soon around 20 House Martins outnumbering the other two species. There were two Common Sandpipers that I either missed on the way up or were new in. Three or four Yellow Wagtails passed overhead too. On my way back to the car park, a Jay was by the water treatment works. Not quite in the same league as some of the headline birds we have had recently, but was new for the year.


John was back at lunchtime and had a very vocal Oystercatcher flying around but it didn't want to settle. Mark had Wheatear, two Yellow Wagtails and a Sedge Warbler up at the Borrow Pit pool. He also found a pair of Moorhens have started nesting in the river channel by the reservoir entrance. Let's hope we don't have a lot of rain again over the spring! John and I were back out late afternoon in the rain. John had two Lesser Redpolls but other than that, there was not a lot around other than hirundines.

Of interest:
I have added some record shots of the Wood Warbler that Colin managed to get of the bird on Sunday 17th to that post. Typically when trying to get photos of such species they are (sorry Colin) not the best! They do show quite clearly what the bird is though. Thank you for allowing me to use them on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment