Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Wednesday 27 April 2016

27th Apr 2016

Early morning for me chasing after the Garganey but unfortunately it had decided not to stay. The highlight was seeing seven Common Sandpipers. Originally there was six on the reservoir and one along the canal, but they were all together on the reservoir before I left. This must be close to, if not the highest number I have seen here. In my records for the reservoir I have a historic record of 20+! I don't recall where I got that from but it can't be true, can it?


Otherwise there were two Yellow Wagtails and a White Wagtail. A fair number of hirundines were gathering again, this morning mostly Sand Martins. Over the last week or so I have noticed they seem to come in waves and some days, or even some times of the day, it could be either Sand or House Martin or Swallows that form the bulk of the birds gathered.

Another sad note, the Mallard duckling numbers are reducing almost as rapidly as they increased. The brood along the canal that was eight had relocated to the Borrow Pit and is now four and the brood on the reservoir that was fourteen was down to eight. Maybe this is down to the locally breeding Crows. It's all part of natures way I suppose.

Late afternoon evening John had two or three White Wagtails and Colin had a Little Ringed Plover.

No comments:

Post a Comment