Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Saturday 29 August 2015

29th Aug 2015

A late morning visit for me today, which lasted into early afternoon. It was a great morning and I was hoping the sun would coax out the possible Redstart from yesterday, but it wasn't to be.

There were four Spotted Flycatchers though. They were along the fence at the southern end of the cattle field, between the water treatment works and the cattle field. They were entertaining to watch but were always distant. There were lots of Chiffchaffs around calling constantly but few other warblers. The occasional tacking gave away the presence of some but I didn't actually see them to confirm species.


In the Upper Cherwell Valley five Swallow flew over south and there were at least two Yellow Wagtails. The Wheatear and three Whinchats were all present and in the usual spots. There was a Common Whitethroat too.

With the sun out there was a good number of dragonflies and damselflies out. I saw Brown Hawker, Common Darters and what I think were Southern Hawkers. There were also Banded Demoiselles, Common Blue , Red-eyed  and Blue-tailed Damselflies. Quite a few were ovipositing, so there should be even more next year.




GULL WARNING - Look away now if you are fed up of hearing about and looking at gulls!

There were two juvenile gulls at the reservoir over lunch. One was definitely a Lesser Black-backed. The other, I am am fairly sure (and hopeful I have it right), is a juvenile Yellow-legged Gull. Again if anyone wishes to comment please do.







No comments:

Post a Comment