Description

This is no Farmoor, Otmoor or Port Meadow. This is Grimsbury. It's Grim up north!

There is a running total year list in the link above.

Please send in your bird sightings to the B.O.S. and/or to me directly for inclusion on the blog. If you have some photos you would like to contribute please let me know (contact via the comments box on the right if you do not have my email already). Thank you.

Sunday 4 September 2022

4th Sep 2022: FERRUGINOUS DUCK!

On Monday John, Adrian T and I were all out at various times and between us we saw a Common Sandpiper and 2 Little Egret at the reservoir, a Yellow Wagtail over and at least 2 Yellow-legged Gulls at the Borrow Pit pool.

Thursday morning I was pleasantly surprised to see a Great White Egret patrolling the shore at the northern end of the reservoir with 2 Little Egrets. This is the first one we've recorded that isn't flying over, after two flew over together in 2019 and another one earlier this year. While I was watching it a Greenshank also dropped in very briefly and a Yellow Wagtail went over. 



Friday morning I was scanning through the ducks when I came across what appeared to be a FERRUGINOUS DUCK! Knowing that you need to be aware of hybrids and only having my binoculars I put the news out as probable and tried to get some photos. A few of my record shots appeared to show good features for a pure bird. John and Steve H were the first other people to arrive and with good scope views we were fairly happy it looked pure. 

There have been a few in the area recently, with 2 at Draycote Reservoir and 1 at Daventry Reservoir. News later highlighted that the Daventry bird had gone (but was back on the 3rd) and it's reasonable to assume this was the same bird. The actual provenance of these birds is an all together more tricky conclusion to make though...

There was also the Great White Egret, 3 Little Egrets and in the afternoon our first 2 Spotted Flycatchers of the year. 







Courtesy and copyright of JFT

Courtesy and copyright of JFT

Courtesy and copyright of JFT

Yesterday John had the Great White Egret and 3 Little Egrets again, as well as a Snipe and Wigeon at the reservoir, Yellow Wagtail over and a Spotted Flycatcher. Later in the day I had another Willow Emerald along the river by the wood.

Today John and I had the Great White Egret, 3 Little Egret and a Spotted Flycatcher at the reservoir, a Shoveler, Common Sand and Yellow-legged Gull at the Borrow Pit and our first Meadow Pipit of the autumn over and a Skylark.

No comments:

Post a Comment